Curb is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company with deep roots in the taxi and for-hire transportation industry. Curb provides products for mobile app solutions, effortless payment, paratransit, business travel, and advertising that reaches captive audiences of millions.
Curb is creating a comprehensive mobility platform for operators to efficiently manage their vehicles and drivers, for regulators to be informed and establish guidelines, for service providers to deliver sustainable, future-proof solutions, and for riders to have an effortless transit experience.
Curb is providing its U.S. partners with opportunities to efficiently connect with audiences to meet their business goals as well as provide riders and the public with relevant local content and advertising to help them stay connected while on the go.
Reporting to the CEO, the General Counsel will oversee all legal matters and serve as the primary legal advisor to Curb’s senior management team. The General Counsel will also be responsible for negotiating and drafting a broad range of complex commercial contracts, handling risk management, advising on transactional and regulatory matters, advising on employment matters, handling marketing, advertising and privacy compliance and providing advice and counsel on all other legal issues facing the company. S/he must be a business savvy lawyer with strong problem-solving abilities and a solutions-orientation.
The General Counsel must have a broad business orientation and will have responsibility for the following:
- Serve as a senior advisor to the CEO and to the Board of Directors;
- As a key member of the senior management team, counsel on the legal ramifications of significant company strategic initiatives; and implement and approve legal policies and procedures in accordance with business needs;
- Advise on complex corporate transactions, including all mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, major contracts, and other strategic business initiatives;
- Draft, maintain, negotiate and monitor all commercial agreements, including form documents, strategic relationships and employee related agreements;
- As corporate secretary of the company, oversees the preparation of all relevant corporate filings and preparation of board and committee meeting agendas and minutes; work closely with the legal staff to ensure the accuracy of all public disclosures and other governmental filings;
- Advise on the litigation risks of possible business decisions; supervise the management of litigation; counsel on the appropriate strategy to defend or resolve litigation associated with environmental, product liability, securities, antitrust, government investigations and other claims;
- In leading the global legal compliance program, ensure that the company is in compliance with all federal, state and international laws, regulations and rules that apply to company activities;
- Ensure protection of the company’s intellectual property including its patent and trademark portfolios; and
- Efficiently supervise, select and manage outside counsel and other third-party advisors and establish procedures for evaluating the quality and cost of services of outside counsel and advisors.
The successful candidate must hold a law degree from a reputable U.S. law school and be a member of the New York state bar.
The General Counsel must be an experienced attorney with the legal background and interpersonal skills sufficient to function successfully in a visible and legally challenging position. The following background is strongly preferred:
- 10-15 years of experience, with a mix of both law firm and in-house work, focused on fintech/ecommerce/payments with specific financial regulatory experience, specifically in payments, particularly advantageous.
- Experience serving in a leadership role as a member of and counselor to the senior leadership team of a transportation or technology corporation is highly preferred;
- Experience with reviewing, drafting and negotiating a variety of technology and other complex commercial transactions.
- Significant transactions experience is highly preferred; experience in securities law, corporate governance, and contracts;
- Experience working on global legal issues is highly preferred;
- Experience assessing legal risk in difficult situations, such as a matter of acute time pressure and/or an issue of great materiality to a company;
- Experience counseling board of directors; corporate governance expertise is desired.
- Experience managing litigation and assessing litigation risk is preferred;
- Experience working with federal, state and international agencies on compliance issues is highly preferred;
- Experience managing a company’s intellectual property and specifically its patent and trademark portfolios is preferred; and
- Experience identifying outside law firms and efficiently managing outside counsel.
Other Personal Characteristics:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including negotiation, cooperation, persuasion, and diplomacy;
- Ability to consult on legal matters that appropriately balances the legal risk with business needs; can contribute beyond the legal function and possesses strong business and financial acumen;
- Ability to listen, manage and inspire team members and company employees;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize responsibilities in a fast-paced environment;
- Flexibility and willingness to handle, and take ownership of, a variety of legal matters;
- Ability to analyze, critically evaluate issues and propose usable solutions in a business, practical, independent and objective manner;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent analytical, writing and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent business judgment, strategic thinker, well-organized and able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure with a calm demeanor; and
- Must be resourceful and self-motivated, and have the ability to work effectively with the Board and senior management.
Curb believes that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Curb is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.